5 Back to School Essentials
Back to School season is here. For some of you this is a joyous occasion. You love your kids, but... For others of you this is a tough season; it's hard to see your kids a year older. Some of you are sending your kids off to school for the first time, and some, for the last. Even with each of us having a different back to school experience, there are two things we are likely to agree on. First, we want to help our kids stay health and help feel their best throughout the entire year and second, we want them to succeed.
We have 5 essential products that can help your kids stay healthy and focused this school year.
School seems to be the best place to pick up the worst germs! By giving your child probiotics on a daily basis you are supporting their immune function and helping them fight off all the nasty germs their little friends want to share with them.
Our immunes system is mostly in our gut and probiotics are just good bacteria that give our immune system fighting powers. Whether you child is fighting a stomach bug (potentially from cafeteria food) or even the common cold, probiotics can help.
Here are a few research studies that support kids taking probiotics to boost their immune systems and potentially even reduce acne.
- Saccharomyces boulardii inhibits Escherichia coli infection in children.
- Probiotic bacteria reduce the duration and severity of common cold episodes.
- Long term use of probiotics and synbiotics reduce the incidence and severity of respiratory diseases during the cold season.
- Acne may respond favorably to probiotics due to their involvement in normalizing the gut-brain-skin axis.
2. Omega 3s
Omega 3 is an essential fatty acid, our body doesn't make, but desperately needs, so we have to get Omega 3s through our diet. Most doctors believe that nearly everyone is deficient in omega 3s, which is a serious problem for kids! There have been many studies that have shown how powerful Omega 3s are in helping kids with ADHA, Depression, Asthma & Diabetes! Check out these STATS:
- ADHD. Kids with ADHD may have lower levels of omega-3s in their bodies than normal, and a few small studies have looked at fish oil supplements as a treatment. They found that the supplements might improve behavior, reduce hyperactivity, and boost attention in kids under 12.
- Depression. Fish oil is often used as a treatment for depression in adults; there have been a few studies in children too. One small 2006 study of fish oil in depressed 6- to 12-year-olds found it helped their symptoms significantly.
- Diabetes. One small study looked at kids who were at high risk of developing type 2 diabetes. The researchers found that those who ate a high omega-3 diet were less likely to develop the condition.
- Asthma. Omega-3s may reduce inflammation in the airways, which could benefit those with asthma. One small study of 29 children with asthma found that those taking fish oil for 10 months had fewer symptoms than those who didn’t. However, other studies of omega-3s as an asthma treatment have not found consistent evidence that they help.
Did you read those? Improve behavior, reduce hyperactivity, less asthma, reduced risk of diabetes! If you aren't sure you can convince your child to take fish oil, try Barlean's Omega Swirl, it is DELICIOUS (you might even take a swig!)
NuroFocus is an Ayurvedic Supplement that is designed to help kids (and adults) stay focus and in their seats naturally; no drugs, no side effects. We did a blog post on the supplement recently that you can read here for more details. One of our employees had her MIDDLE SCHOOL son take it last year during finals and he felt like it helped! Here is a testimony from a college student who also loved it!
"Seriously love this product! All natural, affordable, and it works. I'm a college student and started using this to help with my focus during studying. I've made a huge improvement on my grades. I will definitely continue to take this. If you need to focus more, try Nurofocus. I can't recommend this product more."
4. Vitamin D
Yeah, yeah, we have all heard that we are ALL vitamin D deficient, but is it a big deal? YES, it is a big deal for kids and adults, but for kids developing bodies, it's serious. Vitamin D helps the body absorb minerals like calcium and builds strong teeth and bones. A vitamin D deficiency can not only cause rickets (a disease that can lead to bone deformity and fractures), it can also keep a child from reaching his or her genetically programmed height and peak bone mass. Vitamin D also functions as a hormone with many other jobs in the body, including regulation of the immune system, insulin production, and cell growth. Seems like a pretty big deal to us! On top of Vitamin D being so important, once kids start school they are inside more, so they are getting even LESS vitamin D naturally! Yikes!
5. Vitamin B Complex
B vitamins have a huge impact on good mental health and are necessary for essential mental functions. Typical vitamin B deficiency symptoms that affect the ability to learn are widely found in today’s children. In fact, most nutritionists could tell you that the mass of worldwide studies that looks at children’s nutritional status often find some type of nutrient deficiency; B vitamin deficiencies are usually at the top of the list.
Did you know that when we eat a high sugar diet, it is thought that some of the B vitamins synthesized in the intestinal tract are destroyed. Even as hard as we try, most of our kids still eat a lot of sugar!
We know you have invested time, energy and money to get your kids in the right schools, and you want the best for them. So, we believe these supplements can help your kids do the best they can in the classroom. Let us know what you think or if you have tried these supplements and what your results were!